Christchurch’s heritage buildings are being celebrated and promoted with a new initiative launched in the city this week.
The blue plaque scheme has been going in the United Kingdom for more than 150 years and has recently been introduced to New Zealand by Historic Places Mid Canterbury and endorsed by the national body.
The distinctive plaques feature a brief history of heritage-listed or historically-significant buildings.
Christchurch got its first plaque this week – a former printing shop within the historic Duncan’s Buildings on High St.
The shop was built in 1905-06 as one of 16 terraced Duncan’s Buildings. It was occupied by Franklin’s Butchery for 50 years before Arts’ parents bought the shop in 1971.
The family operated a printing business from it until the earthquakes. The printing business was wound down following the quakes and the equipment sold.
The building is now restored and tenanted by an IT company and an architecture firm.